Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Not Ninja Squirrel

I went to the cabin this evening without Kuma so I could have some quiet time to watch for deer in the meadow below. Needless to say, she was not happy. She looks forward to the trips to the farm as much as I do. Unfortunately, trying to watch deer when she is around is seldom successful. It's like taking a small child; there is no keeping her quiet. Between panting uncontrollably, getting up and clicking her claws on the porch or jerking violently at the sight of a bug or wasp, she is constantly making noise. It doesn't do any good to say anything to her as she will just get up looking for additional attention while making more noise.

Arriving at the cabin I noted the empty feeders and bare cobs of corn after filling each the day before - Ninja squirrel was still around.

Once settled into the porch glider, it wasn't long before the birds resumed singing; no longer sensing danger. A successful observation requires being extremely still for a long period of time so your presence goes unnoticed. After about 40 minutes, I was into the routine and patiently waiting. Suddenly, off to my lower left, I heard the familiar sound of a feeder lid opening and slamming shut. Could this be Ninja Squirrel, I thought? I quickly turned my undivided attention to the feeder hoping to finally catch Ninja in action. To my surprise, there was nothing there but an empty feeder. I stared in wonderment trying to understand the source of the sound I had just heard. Just then, a small head peeked out above the Plexiglas retainer. NINJA! I thought! As a little fur ball crawled out, it's cheek pouches fully distended with the dregs left behind by the king of squirrels, I realized it wasn't Ninja but a chipmunk.

Over the next hour, it was amazing how many trips this little fellow would make between the feeder and his burrow while hauling the grain to his hidden stash. It was clear this little striped critter no more than 4 inches long was not the one responsible for emptying the feeders. He was a bottom feeder willing to wait his turn after Ninja satisfied his needs.

I left the cabin without spotting any deer but happy to witness one of nature's smallest forest mammals hard at work. I still hold out hope that one day I will catch the Ninja squirrel in action as he empties my feeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment