Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Kuma d.o.g.

Kuma d.o.g. once considered trips to ManCamp a rare treat. Today she feels its an entitlement and fully expects to go on every occasion. So today, Kuma and I jumped into Dudley and headed back to the woods for some cabin time. Dudley is a dog hauling 1993 Ford Ranger that was a hand-me-down gift to me from my youngest son, Nic; now what's wrong with that picture?

Once at the farm it was obvious how much rain had fallen from today's storms. The pond levee was full and the spillway was still raging at it's overflow. In the woods, the most pronounced sound was coming from the angry creek below the cabin; a stark reminder that the family farm is a watershed for many acres of forest.

After refilling the squirrel feeders, I replaced the Trail camera memory disc since it again had multiple pictures on it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to the disc as it was missing when I returned to town. I can only assume Bambi returned to enjoy the candy apple treat I left on the stump at the edge of the porch and I lost her Kodak moments.

Few at work believe my stories of a red squirrel the size of a house cat wrapped around one of the feeders. My estimate of 8 pounds might be high but he's still pretty big when his butt is under the feeder and his head is down inside it. I need evidence. I moved a Trail camera to an adjacent tree to hopefully capture him during his breakfast feeding.

I've been shamed and have been losing sleep over accusations that I'm abusing the bottles of wine harvested on the wine bush Laura donated. Failure to move them to a cooler environment in an inverted state is just asking for skunky wine; I've been told. Thanks to Michelle Ramirez in Anchorage, Alaska, and her team mate, Kim Lund Bowdish, aka Head Taste Mistress at Hunters Moon Meadery in Severance, Colorado, the bottles have been saved. For my fellow Appalachians, Mead is honey wine. Hunters Moon Meadery is a small meadery in northern Colorado. They apparently have a wine abuse hotline that someone called Kim on and reported me. Anyway, the bush has been moved from the fireplace hearth to the bar with the bottles inverted. I'm impressed that its Tuesday and none of the corks have been pulled yet.

Before leaving the cabin, I did some more work on the Power House for the generator. Kuma is concerned. She thinks I'm building a bungalow behind the cabin for a brown dog.
A trail camera deployed to catch the red squirrel
the size of a house cat

Thanks to the Head Taste Mistress of Hunters Moon
Meadery, Severance Co, the wine has been saved

Kuma has concerns that I might be building a dog house and not
a Power House for the generator.

Each day there is much more life as the trees bud out

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT, I am Kim, the Head Taste Mistress of Hunters Moon Meadery and long time friend of Michelle Ramirez. Thanks for the mention, sorry I caused you to stress out!

    ReplyDelete