Friday, April 08, 2011

Kitchen stove pipe saga

Up until yesterday, I had a high level of confidence I knew what I was doing while installing the kitchen stove's chimney and stove pipe. There is no doubt the triple wall stainless steel chimney pipes are state of the art stuff. However, when I tried mating the section inside the wall to standard black stove pipe, I crashed and burned. There was no way the 6" elbow was going to insert into the wall pipe. Today, after trips to Lowe's and Menard's, this problem has been solved. I found that triple wall stainless does not want to mate with cheap single wall stove pipe; it likes the expensive double wall piping that has a stainless inside pipe. Once again, I pay an ignorance tax imposed on amateur builders. The good news is that combustables can now be within 6" of the stove pipe. Stove work continues.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave. Sorry to hear you had trouble getting the sections of the new pipes to hook up to the older pipes. I unfortunately ran into a similar problem when I tried to install stove pipes on my own. I am glad that you were able to figure out the problem. I hope you will have better luck with the rest of the stove building process.

    Best Regards,
    Bret

    ReplyDelete