Saturday, April 16, 2011

Great night for sleeping

Loaded up plenty of provisions and enjoyed an evening and night at the cabin. Learned a few things from the experience that I didn't know. There is actually an order in the woods as to when nocturnal creatures start stirring. Its interesting to witness if you have the time and patience. I also found out my squirrel feeder thief, Mr.Coon does not want to be friends. I met him in the middle of the night as I ventured out on the porch to...you know. He wasn't happy to meet and let me know with his most ferocious hiss. A metal roof on a vaulted ceiling can be deafening during a heavy rain. There were some amazing downpours last night and my weather radio alerted me to the risk of high winds and heavy rains; as if I didn't know. I just pulled the covers over my head and slept harder. Also discovered there are lots of squirrels visiting the feeders, too. At dawn, there were 4 feasting and enjoying their breakfast. The red squirrel was huge, he looked like he weighed 10 lbs with his full coat and length. The other 3 were smaller gray squirrels. Standing in the window, you can watch them in their natural habitat and they have no idea you exist. The evening temperature dropped into the low 50s so I built a fire. Since the sleeping loft above the kitchen and bathroom isn't completed yet, an inflatable queen size mattress in front of the fire was more than adequate to get me through a night of April showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment