Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Unexpected visit

Hiking to the cabin around the pond I came across a very large snapping turtle. His head was as big as my fist and I knew if he could get a hold of a finger or hand, he could do serious damage. I left him alone as he continued moving toward the pond. Once at the cabin, I settled into the porch chair and just absorbed the sounds and visuals of nature on this unseasonably warm 1st day of Spring. The thermometer said it was 88 degrees but then, the afternoon sun was beating down on the porch as it faces west.

I finally got motivated and opened a fresh can of wood stain to apply a final coat on the bathroom wood paneling, door and trim. While staining and listening to NPR radio 104.1, my youngest son Nic showed up. He had brought a machete and had been clearing brush on the pond levee prior to hiking back to the cabin. Before I knew it, Nic had climbed up on the loft and curled up on the bed to try out the new sheets and pillows. After the sun had gone down and the solar lights had came on, Nic finally woke up from his nap. He complimented the accommodations and really enjoyed the peaceful rest he was able to get.

Tomorrow I will begin sealing the bathroom wood paneling and doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment