Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ninja Squirrel returns for another season at the cabin

My first and only face to face encounter with the infamous Ninja Squirrel at ManCamp was on August 30, 2011, (refer to the post for details). After multiple attempts to catch a glimpse of him always ending in failure, he was caught in the act of raiding the porch feeders that hot summer evening. Since that chance meeting, I could only speculate that he was still around as there had been no more sightings. There was circumstantial evidence always present where something was consuming or hording 25# of bird seed and 25# of critter food each week. Blame was being cast on the little chipmunks, the flocks of wild birds and even a morbidly obese raccoon that loves to tear down the suet feeders and waddle off with them into the forest. Yet, deep down there was the knowledge that Ninja was still around. So Saturday afternoon, shock and surprise were the results of meeting him once again.

After spending the morning working on a few little cabin projects, I took my friend Robbie back home before returning alone. With the farm lanes still deep in mud, I chose to walk back to the site. Approaching the cabin while still 30-40 yards from the porch, 2 gray squirrels robbing porch feeders spotted me and scampered off into the woods. I never dreamed they had been in the company of the king of squirrels: Ninja. As I walked up onto the porch, less than 16 feet away and wrapped completely around a feeder was the greatest of flying rodents. His thick, full coat was as red as a fox and when he made eye contact with me he froze as if trying to decide to run or attack. I too froze in my steps, wondering what I'd do if attacked by the grandest of squirrels and wishing I had brought a camera. Thankfully, after deciding to do battle another day, Ninja jumped onto the porch and made a quick get away off the north end. I was once again amazed at the size of this freak of nature. He is truly bigger than most cats and could do harm to Kuma d.o.g. if cornered. Just knowing he lives and remains a ManCamp resident makes looking forward to Spring and Summer again that much more enjoyable.

Much later, I spent Saturday night trying to sleep in the cabin loft. The bed was very comfortable and the cabin was extremely quiet with the windows and doors all closed. The sound of the school house clock on the wall was the only thing that broke the silence while drifting off to sleep. With only sheets available, I was trying to conserve the heat as the night's temperature was to fall into the fifties. I slept very well for about 3 hours but then all of the nocturnal critters began roaming around outside the cabin. Jumping on the porch from the feeders, climbing the porch posts, even getting on the roof. There were squirrels, possums, and raccoons and by all indications, a skunk. One thing for sure, its hard to sleep when there's a Saturday night party going on right outside. Awake, I enjoyed the night sky and all the stars that were shining bright through the skylight above my head.

One of Robbie's jobs was to mount this directional arrow for those seeking the
Outhouse. We don't have an outhouse but they don't know that...

Robbie does a good job hanging things on walls.
This welcome sign looks right at home beside the front
door.

With a level in hand, Robbie was on a roll. He mounted this coat rack too.

I'm already upgrading some cabin stuff. I liked this
outside light much better than the original stained glass
lantern.

The first lamp for the living room once the flooring is down
and furniture is installed.

As much as I like the cedar bird feeders, they don't hold up
to the raccoons very well. Hopefully this metal one will last.

Robbie's final project Saturday morning was assembling the fixtures for the bathroom
sink and vanity. The wall paint came in so that will be the focus this week to finish
the bathroom before the wood flooring comes in next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment