Saturday, January 14, 2012

Winter morning

Walking to the cabin at sunrise this morning, my mind took me back to 1966 when my best friend Mark Bayes and I made that same trek back the hollow on a similar January morning with Daisy BB guns we had just received on Christmas. A couple of 10 year old boys going 'anything' hunting was pretty common yet uneventful but seems like only yesterday as I once again focused attention on that unchanged view of Scioto Trails ahead. The now frozen mud in the tractor's ruts crackled loudly with each step of the way after a bitterly cold night. Mark has since died and yet the memory and sound of his laughter on that cold morning years ago is just as clear now as it was then. In many ways, it was sad without him and his loyal friendship at my side yet I was comforted knowing he was still with me in spirit. Even then, we both recognized the shortness of life itself and how all that we enjoyed was a Blessing and could be gone in an instant.


New window dressing for the cabin has came in so this visit was to put new kitchen valances up. Some may question if the cabin is truly a 'man camp' with such cosmetic additions that serve little value other than to make the cabin more hospitable. Personally, I like them and since its my cabin, we make the rules. It won't be long before the living room window valances also arrive from Cabela's so I've got another walk to look forward to.


Sitting at the kitchen table, I realized what a great winter view was available when the blinds were raised. One of the rewards of planning ahead with the end in mind.

A change of season and the cabin prepares for the cold of winter

The road to the cabin with a dusting of snow

New kitchen window valance installed

The kitchen window looks like ice blocks with the snow on the ground
behind the cabin

Winter views are so very special in the morning

1 comment:

  1. Awesome looking cabin and we enjoy your blog and pictures. We also enjoy our little cabin in the North Idaho woods and being on "Cabin" time.

    ReplyDelete