Monday, December 26, 2011

Loft Work

Today I began building the loft ladder. Using (2) 2"x4"x10' studs and 2"x4"x17" rungs, attached with (2) 5" lag bolts counter-sunk through each end with a little liquid nails, we now have a loft ladder that will pass the 300 lb load test :). Had to go back to Lowe's to pick up more wooden plugs to conceal the heads of the lag bolts before its stained. Its really nothing fancy but is quit functional. What more do you need to climb 8 feet up on the loft than a basic ladder? The primary objective is to make it functional, not too big and keep with the rustic, Early American stain theme. Now that I've decided to install it on the corner of the red wall, I will need to move the carbon monoxide detector and re-position the artwork on the wall to maintain balance.

Using the gift certificate my daughter Natalie gave me for Christmas, I returned to Menard's today, too. I purchased the posts for the deck, also the toe boards and hand rails. Now that I've decided to put the wrought iron artwork between the posts of black bears running through the forest, I'm trying to decide what type of spindles to use. Nic recommends black spindles as the posts, handrails and toe boards will be stained Early American; same as the wall.

Bears in the forest art work on order. 29" x 68". Should look good on the loft rail.

No comments:

Post a Comment