Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Robbie - ManCamp charter member and a loyal friend

 The cabin under construction at ManCamp would not be where it is today without the help of a loyal friend known as "Robbie". We've known each other for more than 30 years and he often calls me Tom Sawyer based on Mark Twain's character. Robbie always gets the jobs that I don't want to do such as installing the ridge cap on the roof peak. Robbie has sacrificed many Saturdays helping me with the cabin. He isn't any more a carpenter or builder than I am but we work well together while arguing and fussing until we are mutually satisfied with what we are doing. I do worry that his wife Lynn will not let him come out and play again if he doesn't stop hurting himself on the job. Each time we install paneling or use a nail punch, he hits his finger with the hammer. A run-away Dremel also did some flesh damage to him once. The first aid kit at the job site consists of paper towels, duct tape and masking tape. I can't count the times I've taken Robbie home with a finger taped up to stop his bleeding. I drop him off at the curb as I don't dare go in with him injured again. Thankfully, he heals quickly and Lynn is forgiving. In the picture on the right, Robbie once again doctors a finger after smashing it. If you ever consider building a cabin, you need to look around to see if you have any good friends like Robbie that will stay with you on the project. I have one that will go in a fox hole with me and fight the battles even if I am "Tom Sawyer".

No comments:

Post a Comment