Monday, March 21, 2011

Fosson Family Trails

The cabin and ManCamp is embedded in the heart of Fosson Family Trails. My parents, Harold (Gene) and Bertie, left this beautiful farm behind as a gift to their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren in a trust to enjoy for the rest of our lives. Mom and dad each grew up in Carter County, Kentucky, were married and started a family in Ashland after dad served in WWII. After moving to Waverly in 1961, they traded the Ashland house for this small Ohio farm in 1965. They loved the farm dearly and mom called it her heaven on earth; it was here that she died unexpectedly in 1984. Dad continued alone at the farm for 22 more years before he passed away. It was their wish that the farm would always remain in the family. They had the vision and foresight to protect it forever in a trust, The Fosson Family Trails.


A view looking southwest. My dad and brothers Don and
John cleared acres of woods to create pasture for our few
head of cattle and saddle horses.

I've been working on this area to make it look like a park.
It reminds me of Central Park in Ashland during summer days.
A gate leads to a bridle path in Scioto Trails.

The pond that never goes dry as an underground spring
keeps it filled during droughts.

I enjoy spending hot summer days mowing the pastures
and working on the farm.

Mom would be so proud of the work
my sister Sandy and brother in law Mike
do at the farm. Mike made the foot bridge.

The barn where dad surprised my sister Sandy and me
on a snowy pre-dawn Christmas morning
in 1965 with a pony named Lady.

At the Fosson farm, mom cooked on a wood stove in 1965.
Through the years, there was always a fresh pot of warm coffee from
about 4:30 am until bedtime at about 10:00 pm. Both mom and dad loved a
large mug of strong coffee any hour of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Dave I think your property looks amazing, Id love to come out and see it some day. I think its wonderful that you and your siblings are keeping family traditions and memories alive. I wish we had a family farm that I could take care of! Not many farmers in this family other than me! Well Bob Dyke but he is a townie gardener!

    ReplyDelete