Monday, March 28, 2011

Boxing in rafters

A boring evening at the cabin today where the highlight was filling the bird and squirrel feeders. Using a hammer, hand saw and square, I worked on boxing in the rafters between the cabin and the porch before we insulate and panel the ceiling. Didn't even start the generator for this task. No fun but it has to be done to keep spiders, wasp and the variety of woods insects from sneaking in above the ceiling. A bead of silicone around the edge of the boards should go a long way in keeping unwanted eight legged neighbors outside where they belong. Afterwards while sitting on the porch watching the sunset I found the woods extremely still. No breeze, no birds and no sound; not even any background noise. It was so quiet I could hear ringing in my ears. Reminded me of sitting in an audio booth awaiting that first beep in an ear while taking a hearing test. I appreciated hearing a distant woodpecker drilling bugs out of a dead oak that finally broke the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment