Sunday, March 13, 2011

ManCamp fireplace


The new firebox was a Craig's List bargain at
$200. To build a fireplace, I started with a good foundation

Once finished and confirmed to be functional and safe,
a sense of pride having accomplished a major project.

The fireplace is the focal point inside the cabin. Since I don't consider myself a carpenter, a contractor or a mason, I didn't know how to build a cabin let alone a fireplace; but Nic really wanted a fireplace in it. Once the cabin was well on its way under roof, the option of a fireplace soon became a reality. We agreed we wanted a rustic, 'manly' look and now that it's finally finished, we're satisified with the results. It was economically built using some items purchased on line. The 36" fire box was purchased unused on Craigslist for $200. The stones are veneer stone from Menard's that I colored myself using charcoal liquid mortar coloring. I think we used 5-6 boxes of stone at about $40/box. The mantel is a hand hewed timber that we purchased on Craigslist for $45. It came from a 150 year old homestead on the banks of Paint Creek below Bainbridge, Ohio. It was stained a dark brown and sealed in semi gloss polyseal. The paneling was purchased from Menard's and stained with Early American stain and sealed with a satin poly. For about $600, we got a bargain of a fireplace that we're proud of.

1 comment: