Sunday, July 17, 2011

Slow-Wave Sleep

Took Nic to cabin to enjoy the wildlife with me this evening. After being out late, working and then going for a 2 mile run, he fell into a slow-wave sleep (aka deep sleep) after about 10 minutes on the porch. I think he found it pretty peaceful.

I've given up on trying to figure out how to get rid of the raccoons that enjoy tearing down the bird feeders on the porch. I've decided to harden these assets so we can peacefully co-exist going forward. I took all the feeders down and reinforced the staples with 6D finishing nails. Also replaced the hemp ropes with 10 gauge steel wire. Did the same with the suet feeders and reinforced the latches with a 10 gauge twisted wire. I really don't care if the 'coons climb on top of them for a meal, I just hate to loose the feeders when they fall and break into pieces due to fat butt 'coons on a lard suet diet. I've got to figure out how to lock down the squirrel food supply container though. Their food is kept in a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler with a tight fitting lid under the porch. The 'coons move the cooler and roll it down the hill trying to breach containment. I'm too old and fat to keep running down the hill to retrieve it!


Nic didn't take long to get settled in.

A bird above my head enjoying the suet before
the raccoons show up


A little tacky but functional until something better comes along.
At $6, couldn't pass it up. PC Mall.

Squirrel food container retrieved from bottom of hill
after 'coons rolled it down again

No comments:

Post a Comment