Sunday, June 30, 2013

Cabin Time

Work obligations have made it difficult to have time at the cabin over the past few weeks. Finally, I simply broke down and decided down time for rest and relaxation was in order and overdue.

The joy of walking inside and feeling that coolness that only a cabin in the woods on a summer evening can share is very special. Everything in its place, not a bug to be found yet peace and relaxation is overwhelming as I look around.

Having recently purchased a Kindle Fire HD, I downloaded some videos I had never seen to watch at the cabin. I've heard so much about Modern Family, I thought I'd pour a small glass of wine and kick back in the recliner to enjoy it. After opening all the windows as the sun went down behind that western hill in front of the porch, I lit a couple of candles before settling in. Kuma loves the cabin so much it is truly her first choice of home life. She too likes knowing she has her own food and water bowl and a soft cabin bed in which to retire. With the sound of crickets and tree frogs just outside the screens, I began the episode that I'd been waiting for.

Long after the candles had melted down, I awoke in the recliner and looked at the Regulator on the wall; it was going on 3 am. The Kindle was still open in my lap and the glass of wine was still full.

The cabin has such power over the mind and body. Clearly, rest was needed and over due. Why I would even think I could watch a television sitcom while hypnotized by nature's sounds is beyond my own imagination. Someday I'll try it  again but for now, there is no place like a recliner at night in the breeze of a cabin to relax and rest. It has been long overdue.

No comments:

Post a Comment