Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Shades of Gray

After a long mid-week day, I was content returning home to a hot supper, my easy chair, and Internet access catching up on friends and world affairs.

Unfortunately, one cannot ignore the power of persuasion of a fat brown dog who awaited all day for an evening walk; I succumbed to her demands for an evening road trip to the woods.

The sun had already set on this mid-February day and an afternoon winter squall had deposited 2-3" of new fallen snow still untouched by man or beast.

As Kuma d.o.g. and I began our trek as we so often do around the frozen pond, I was reminded of my own color blindness while trying to make out darkened images ahead. With the day's sun now set and only dark gray sky above, the white of the snow against the contrast of trees ahead provided a gray tone view absent any color the sun would reveal. I thought of my canine companion who science says is also color blind. The optical illusion continued until arriving at the cabin door.

Once inside, the lamps energized by the sun's stored gift illuminated our surroundings in a burst of colors making the shades of winter's gray disappear.

Shades of gray

No comments:

Post a Comment